This image conveys the pattern of growth and decline in the industrial economy of Port Dundas throughout history, highlighting spaces of industry in red.
Established in the late 18th century Port Dundas is located in close proximity to Glasgow city centre at the terminus of the Forth & Clyde and the Monkland canals.
It served as an industrial centre from the early 19th century with industries such as textiles, chemical works, distilleries, iron foundries and power stations located here.
Two distilleries were established on the site opening in 1811 and 1845 respectively and in 1900 the Pinkston Power Station was constructed in order to produce electricity for the Glasgow Corporation Tramway.
Industrial use declined in the 20th century. The Monkland canal was closed in 1952, The Pinkston power station decommissioned in 1958, the Forth & Clyde canal closed 1963 and St.Rollox chemical plant closed 1964. The distilleries closed from 1903 to 1945, were modernised in 1970 but were eventually closed in 2009 by Diageo.
The site now sits derelict with no significant industrial use as a signifier of modern Glasgow and its changing priorities.
Key Themes: Industry, Lost Places