Laurieston’s fabric has changed dramatically over the last century. Minutes from the Glasgow’s economic centre yet segregated from the surrounding city by the Clyde to the north and railway arches to the south, this section of the Gorbals has suffered greatly through periods of industrial decline and slum clearance. What was once a complex & bustling urban scene catering to a vast mix of uses has since been swept away. As of 1952 the neighbourhood possessed 6 churches, 2 synagogues, 5 cinemas, 4 schools ,a theatre, a nursery, a library, Public baths & a wash house, and a very generous 45 public houses. In its stead replacements and interventions, heavy with the flawed urban philosophies of their times have come and gone.
With each sweeping and dramatic change of the built environment communities and the bonds they had built have been severed.. The fortunes of the twin estates Norfolk Court and Stirlingfauld place tested the belief that better quality building and construction inevitably leads to vitality and a better quality of life. The newly constructed Laurieston transformational regeneration area hopes to rectify the flaws of past housing solutions but only time will tell if these latest solutions for city dwelling succeed in forming long term bonds, rooting community and place.
Key Themes: Boundaries, Lost Places